Binnenkort kan u hier klikken voor de Nederlandstalige versie in pdf
- Karen Ketels (°11/02/1981) started to play the recorder at the age of 7, with Astrid Casteels and Jan Devlieger. Afterwards, she studied the recorder with Bart Coen at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels, in Belgium, where she graduated in 2005. Then Karen went to the University of Leuven, where she took lessons in musicology with Ignace Bossuyt. In between she participated in several masterclasses for the recorder and singing, with renowned musicians.
- In 1999, Karen Ketels achieved the highest distinction in the ‘Pro Civitatae: Axion Classics Contest’. Being a laureate, she played with Prima La Musica in La Monnaie in Brussels.
- As soprano, Karen sang with many different choirs as Polyfoon, El Grillo, Vivente Voce en het Antwerps Collegium Musicum.
- Karen Ketels started her own early-music-ensemble in 2005, called ‘Ardalus’. The repertoire of Ardalus is renaissance – and baroque musique, and focuses especially on music from the Low Countries. Emphasis is on the historical and inspired interpretation. (ardalus.be). Meanwhile, Ardalus recorded 2 CD’s and played several concerts, including a live concert on Belgian Radio (Klara). Karen Ketels is currently doing musicological research for a new recording in near future.
- From 2009 until 2014, Karen gave lectures, workshops and introductions for concerts, for many schools and organisations.
- Karen was a teacher for several years in musicschools and secundary schools, and founded her own private musicschool, CreaMuse in Zwalm (Belgium) in 2009 (creamuse.be). CreaMuse is known for its creative, not scholastic approach to music perception.
- 10 Years after obtaining the degree of Master in Music, Karen got her degree in Photography. Karen loves most being active as a landscape- and nature photographer, and creating conceptual photography-art (ketelsphotography.com).
- In november 2015 she started her own Photostudio in Horebeke, where she makes fine-art portrets. (studioketels.be)
- Karen obtained the EP-qualification in okt 2015 (FEB), and has already won
several prices and achievements in contests. In 2016 she was chosen for her country to be part of the Photographic Olympic team, to defend the Belgian photographic honor in the Photographic World Cup. Karen has her own label of greeting cards; My Horizon.
- In future, Karen Ketels wants to combine her job as musician, with that of a photographer, and wants to continue to delve into the historical performance practice, and to keep working to perform early music to the general public.